The Shravan/Sawan Month is the 5th month as per Hindu Calendar. This is a very auspicious month dedicated especially to Lord Shiva, who is one of the trinities (Tridev) in Hindu religion. The month is named Shravan due to the ruling nakshatra (Lunar mansion) Shravan on full Moon day. The whole month is celebrated by Shiva Bhakts with faith and festivities, worshipping of deity with specialized Puja like Rudra-Abhisheka of the Shivlingam, observance of fast on Mondays during the month and Kawar Yatras.
The month hold great significance per Hindu Mythology as during this month Lord Shiva drank poison (Vish) which came out of the Samudra Manthan (Churning of the Sea) done by demons and Gods. Everyone was pleased to take the precious ornaments and gifts but none of them want poison. To save everyone from its wrath Lord Shiva himself came to the rescue and drank the entire poison. As a result, his neck turned blue and from that day he came to be known as NeelKanth. After that he felt so warm and thirsty that the rain God (Lord Indra) showered rain on him. Hence doing the Jal Abhisheka of Lord Shiva during this month pleases the Deity the most and bring success and fortunes to the observers.
The Mondays (Somvaars) of the Shravan Maas hold special importance as devotees observe fasts especially women and girls to please Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva. It is believed that Goddess Parvati worshipped and fasted during Shravan Maas to get Lord Shiva as her husband. It is said that women get husband of their dreams and a happy married life because of fasting and offering prayers during this month. The observance of all the Mondays in this month fulfills all the physical and material desires of the devotees and give them confidence, bravery and good health.
How to Perform Puja during Shravan Month:
- Regular worshipping of the Shiva lingam with the help of holy items like Chandan, Milk, Honey and holy water during Shravan month will please Lord Shiva a lot and will give power to the devotee. Worshipping of Parad (Mercury) Shiva Lingam will yearn multiple times more benefits to the worshipper as written in the Shiva Purana.
- Conducting specialized puja's like RudraAbhishek Puja and Shiva Puja will please the deity a lot. Organizing Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra Patha Puja will also increase the longevity of the person.
- Wearing Rudraksha during Savan month will act as a shield against any evil and accomplish all the wishes of the wearer.
- Keeping items dear to Lord Shiva like Nandi, Trishul and Shiva Damru in your home will bring prosperity in the house.
SPECIAL OCCASSIONS DURING SHRAVAN MONTH-2017
Shravan/ Sawan Somvaar Vrat dates for Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab states.
- First Day/ First Somvaar (Monday) of Shravan Month- 10th July 2017
- Second Somvaar (Monday)- 17th July 2017
- Third Somvaar (Monday)- 24th July 2017
- Hariyalika Teej- 26th July
- Naag Panchami- 27th July
- Fourth Somvaar (Monday)- 31st July 2017
- Last Day/ Fifth Somvaar (Monday)/ Raksha Bandhan- 7th August 2017
Shravan/ Sawan Somvaar Vrat dates for Maharashtra, Goa, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- First Day/ First Somvaar (Monday) of Shravan Month- 24th July 2017
- Second Somvaar (Monday)- 31st July 2017
- Third Somvaar (Monday)- 7th August 2017
- Fourth Somvaar (Monday)- 14th August 2017
- Last Day/ Fifth Somvaar (Monday)/ Raksha Bandhan- 21st August 2017
P.S. It is considered very good to wear Rudraksha during Shravan Mas as they are naturally healing and very beneficial. You can see types of Rudraksha here :